Making a Manhattan
What makes this drink so iconic?
With the huge number of cocktails out in the world, it’s not surprising that a few fall through the cracks. There are hidden gems in those lost cocktails, delicious drinks that everybody would probably enjoy. This month we’re focusing on the Manhattan!
As probably one of the most ordered cocktails in the world, the Manhattan has enjoyed an iconic reputation for years. Said to have been invented in 1880 at the Manhattan Club in New York City, this cocktail was an instant hit. Over the years people have tweaked it and put their own spin on the recipe, but the heart of the drink remains unchanged.
- 2 ounces of bourbon (or rye)
- 1 ounce of sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 dash of orange bitters
- brandied cherry or orange twist (optional)
- Place all ingredients (except the cherry) into a chilled mixing glass
- Strain into a chilled glass
- Garnish brandied cherry or orange twist (optional)
RELATED: More Hidden Cocktails
What do you think of the Manhattan? Do you have a better recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media!